02 Dec 2013

Opening Day of Pennsylvania Deer Season

, , , ,

My father, cigarette butt in mouth, Mauser rifle in hand, poses with a nice buck at his farm in Locust Valley. Very damaged photo is labeled “Nove 1947.”

We’re having a very traditional, cold (low 30s), snow on the ground, opening day of deer season here in Pennsylvania.

It has been possible to hunt deer legally with long bow, crossbow, and muzzle-loaders for varying periods since late September, but today is Pennsylvania’s national holiday: opening day of rifle season for bucks. This morning the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania fields the sixth largest army in the world, some 750,000 rifles, coming in right behind Russia in numbers (though generally better armed).

The Opening Day of Deer Season (first Monday after Thanksgiving) and the Opening Day of Trout Season (the Saturday closest to April 15th) are sacred dates in the Keystone State’s calendar. Just as the Christian Church is traditionally full of lukewarm members who attend Mass only at Christmas and Easter, the sporting community is similarly full of participants who collect guns and tackle and who read Field & Stream, but who actually go afield only on opening day.

Opening Day of Deer Season was a de facto holiday for boys in my high school. We were not officially excused attendance, but everyone knew that at least half of the male population would be missing that Monday, and since boys were skipping school with their father’s blessing, there was nothing officialdom could do about it.

Deer were just beginning to come back to the nearby woodlands when I was a boy. Before WWII, it had been necessary to travel to the deep woods, the tall timber, of the few remaining wilderness fastnesses of the Poconos, of Sullivan or Potter County to find deer. Today, of course, deer are suburban pests, thriving everywhere in the East, and they’ve been joined recently in their return by the black bear and the wild turkey. In New England, moose have been showing up in the suburbs of Connecticut and Rhode Island, and I like to think it’s only a matter of time before we have Woodland Bison again.

Karen and I luxuriously slept in this morning, and we heard no gun shots, though our woods are undoubtedly full of hunters. Looking out at the morning fog brought the memories flowing back. I remembered tossing and turning, eyes closed, but unable really to sleep with the excitement of the upcoming hunt.

I remembered being officially awakened at the unprecedented hour of 3:30 AM; the elaborate preparations, laboriously dressing in countless layers of insulation; the unshaven men brewing the coffee and making baloney sandwiches; then the long-awaited appearance of the totemic hunting rifles, gleaming with fresh gun oil; the distribution of hunting knives, binoculars, flashlights, and aluminum hand-warmers inside which a metallic mesh soaked in lighter fluid smoldered flamelessly away for many hours.

Deer hunting always involved a drive of half an hour to an hour to a special forested location where our relationship with some farmer provided the privilege of hunting access. Deer hunting, the opening day variety, consisted of taking up ambush positions along some pole line or timber road or fire trail which the deer could be expected to cross at first light when they would be returning to the mountain after feeding in the farm fields all night.

We would stumble into the woods by flashlight in the dark, being positioned by the hunting party leader, and then we’d get to stand, shivering, hands in pockets, waiting for daylight, listening for the sound of large animals approaching, for an hour and half or so.

If you were lucky, just as it became light enough to see, you’d hear them coming, and a small group of does, accompanied by a buck lurking behind, would come slowly into view, giving you time to line up your shot. More commonly, you’d hear a tremendous racket while it was still dark and a group of deer you couldn’t really make out would charge past you.

Occasionally, after dawn, you would hear a rifle shot. If you heard a single shot, you would figure that it was 50-50 whether he’d got that deer. If you heard BOOM! followed after a short interval by one more decisive BOOM!, you knew that someone had killed his buck. If you heard BOOM!–BOOM!–BOOM! and BOOM!–BOOM!, you knew your idiot uncle with the pump gun had missed again.

There was a serious chance of a shot at a buck at first light on opening day. We used to joke that all the bucks then assembled at the Trailways Bus Station, and went on vacation to Florida thereafter. What really happened, of course, is that deer in general, and bucks in particular, on finding their woods invaded by armed humans, went totally nocturnal, and took care to pass through pole lines, timber roads, and fire trails while it was still pitch dark. There they snoozed away the daylight hours, deep inside the densest thickets of buck laurel they could find.

You generally had about as good a chance of getting a shot at a buck after the morning of opening day as you did of winning the lottery.

But there was an answer, I discovered a few years along in my hunting career. The answer was, after opening day, to drive deer with the gang from the Brandonville Fire House. It did bucks no good to hide deep the laurels and the greenbriars, if along came a line of hunters spaced 50 feet apart, hollering, stomping, and blowing horns.

I later fell in with an even crazier gang of deer drivers from Aristes who made a practice of driving straight through the roughest country in Northern Schuylkill County. We used to drive right down and straight up the sides of mountains. We’d go right through narrow, untenanted valleys solid with laurel. I was a teenage boy, and consequently always a driver. Standing posted at the end of the drive was a privilege of the old men. So I didn’t get a lot of shooting. But it certainly was a lot of fun.

5 Feedbacks on "Opening Day of Pennsylvania Deer Season"

T. Shaw

Good stuff!

We spent Nov. 5 to 11 in an Adirondack Mt. deer camp.

Didn’t get a shot off among us (aside from once drive boss’ .44 cal. pistol start signal). We saw moose sign (far more than deer) and kicked up a dozen grouse over the week. We saw no bear nor sign (one tree scratched up) and heard no coyotes as in prior years. No big foot or mountain lions, either. It’s now mature forest, after growing back from an early 20th century clear cut.

We set up drives (100 to 150 yards apart and way less effective) and watch lines as you describe, except further apart. This year we only had seven (four 60 y.o. or older) men in camp. Used to have a consistent dozen.

I’m 60+ y.o. and spend about 350 days a year as a flat-lander. )I don’t wear sneakers, tho.) It’s getting a bit harder to stumble and bumble up and down hills, a lot of big dead falls, and through brooks and drainages.

We have a wagon and hire a teamster and his two magnificent Belgians and assorted bear dogs and trail riders come along to haul us in and out. We set up a big wall tent, a wood stove and have running water out of a spring.

Our club has been going in for about 80 years. We missed 2012 because of Sandy and a wedding that affected too many members. By vote, we ruled that that doesn’t mar any member’s consecutive years record.

It (including set up, take down, and six miles uphill both ways . . . ) beats the heck out of a day at the office.

Lazarus Long

Say T. Shaw – I spent my early years in the Adirondacks. In the fall we set up a big wall tent with an iron wood stove. We set it on a wooden platform with two foot sides and a regular door so it was very homey. The location was in the North River area. It did not get better than that


Was out before first light to get to my SPOT , stayed there til l around 11;00 nothing doing started back came across 4 deer and 2 stood broadside for me I had my brothers muzzleloader , I took careful aim and had a miss fire the deer walked and stopped to look back at what the racket was all about had to laugh at it all wil try again tomorrow

T. Shaw


Small world! North River/North Creek. We turn off Rte. 28 onto Thirtheenth Lake Rd. and then to Old Farm Clearing Rd. to the end/trail head.

We hike south six miles on the “road” and camp/hunt on the east side of the East Br. Sacanadaga R. (the horses/wagon ford the river, we go over a foot bridge) between Second Pond Brook and Cross Brook.

We traditionally stop for breakfast at Marsha’s in North Creek. Previously (it’s been closed for years), we ate at the White Pine on Rte. 28. Next year, we’ll eat there: it’s now the Golden Pine.

Fred Z

The Western tradition is the same only different. Wide open country, not much brush higher than your chest, lots of movement, on foot, by truck, quad or one memorable hunt for me, by mountain bike in 6 inches of snow.

But I was young, strong and stupid then.

I still hunt the mulie in the coulee on foot but oddly enough my son and his friends walk much faster and further than I do. Whoda thunk it?


Please Leave a Comment!

Please note: Comments may be moderated. It may take a while for them to show on the page.

Entries (RSS)
Comments (RSS)
Feed Shark