Americana, Beretta, Guns, John Alden Wheellock, Mayflower, National Rifle Association
John Alden‘s Wheel-lock Carbine
Found in John Alden’s house, built in 1653 using material from an earlier house erected in 1632, at 105 Alden Street in Duxbury, Massachusetts “in a secret protective cubbyhole near the front door of the home” during a 1924 renovation, this wheel-lock bears makers’ marks on the lock and barrel indicating it was made by the Beretta, family of Brescia, Italy, known to have been in business since 1526.
It is the only firearm brought over on the Mayflower known to have survived and it is preserved today in the collection of the National Firearms Museum operated by the NRA.
Kristin Alberts article at Guns.com
Hat tip to Vanderleun.