Speaking at the ‘Taken 3’ press conference in Dubai on Monday, the Irish-born star of ‘Schindlerâ€™s List’, who once again plays Bryan Mills in the final film of the trilogy, responded to a question about the Charlie Hebdo attacks in Paris last week, which he linked to gun violence in the US.
â€œThere are too many fucking guns out there, especially in America,â€ said the 62-year-old. â€œI think the population is, like, 320 million? There are over 300 million guns. Privately owned, in America. I think itâ€™s a fucking disgrace. Every week now weâ€™re picking up a newspaper and seeing, â€˜Yet another few kids have been killed in schools.â€™â€
Reported by the Washington Post, Neeson added that there is a distinction between the violence of the movies and reality.
He said: â€œA character like Bryan Mills going out with guns and taking revenge: itâ€™s fantasy. Itâ€™s in the movies, you know? I think it can give people a great release from stresses in life and all the rest of it, you know what I mean? It doesnâ€™t mean theyâ€™re all going to go out and go, â€˜Yeah, letâ€™s get a gun!â€™â€
Holier-than-thou Hollywood celebrities have been making millions from portraying armed heroes in movies, then taking public stands in real life in support of gun control, and they’ve gotten away with it. Except this time.
PARA USA, the company that rented the guns used by Neeson in “Taken 3” (2014), his latest action film, has responded to the movie star’s recent anti-gun, anti-Second Amendment remarks by stating publicly that they will no longer be providing the weapons for his cinematic fantasy roles.