From the French WikipÃ©dia:
La maison d’Adam, also known as La maison d’Adam et Ãˆve or La maison de l’Arbre de Vie, is a half-timbered [in French: maison Ã colombages] house located in the heart of the city of Angers, at the intersection of the rue Montault and the place Sainte-Croix, just behind the cathedral. It is one of the architectural relics of the medieval heritage still existing today, built around 1491. Today it is home to the Maison des Artisans d’Angers.
The date of construction was determined by dendrochronology, which placed its date of building shortly after 1491. According to the archives, it was an apothecary, Jean Lefevre or Jean Lebreton, who paid for the construction. It was still in the same family in 1526, when RenÃ©e LefÃ¨vre was listed as the second owner.
Around 1544, it became the property of Jacques Richard, merchant and notable of Angers. It was subsequently occupied by several notables of Angers: Jean Jolivet, woolen cloth merchant, circa 1686 and Michel Adam, son-in-law of Jean Jolivet, a silk cloth merchant.
During the French Revolution, the revolutionaries destroyed the figures of Adam and Eve with the serpent, leaving only the apple tree in place.
The building consists of a ground floor surmounted by three floors, plus two floors of attic, for a total of six levels. In addition, there is a barrel-vaulted [voÃ»tÃ© en berceau] basement. It occupies a corner lot of 8 by 10 meters.
The wooden panel faÃ§ade is decorated with numerous sculptures and consists of a diamond-shaped paneling, the slabs of which were originally made of bricks.