Category Archive 'Poisonous Critters'

20 Oct 2019

Australia Has Killer Fungus That Shrinks Your Brain

, ,

It’s not enough that Australia has 21 out of 25 of the world’s most deadly snakes.

No, no, no. Australia also has to have a small octopus so venomous that its bite can kill in a few minute, the world’s deadliest spider, and even a group of sea shells that can kill you.

I’ve found today the icing on the Australian poison cake: a deadly fungus that kills you and shrinks your brain.

Poison Fire Coral is the only known mushroom with toxins that can be absorbed through the skin, and causes a “horrifying” array of symptoms if eaten, including vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and numbness.

If left untreated, it can cause multiple organ failure or cause a person’s brain to shrink leading to death.

“The fact that we can find such a distinctive and medically important fungus like Poison Fire Coral right in our backyard shows we have much to learn about fungi in northern Australia,” Barrett said.

RTWT

Australians are probably disappointed though that Poison Fire Coral also occurs in Korea and Japan.


Your are browsing
the Archives of Never Yet Melted in the 'Poisonous Critters' Category.











Feeds
Entries (RSS)
Comments (RSS)
Feed Shark