It’s not enough that Australia has 21 out of 25 of the world’s most deadly snakes.
I’ve found today the icing on the Australian poison cake: a deadly fungus that kills you and shrinks your brain.
Poison Fire Coral is the only known mushroom with toxins that can be absorbed through the skin, and causes a “horrifying” array of symptoms if eaten, including vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and numbness.
If left untreated, it can cause multiple organ failure or cause a person’s brain to shrink leading to death.
“The fact that we can find such a distinctive and medically important fungus like Poison Fire Coral right in our backyard shows we have much to learn about fungi in northern Australia,” Barrett said.
Australians are probably disappointed though that Poison Fire Coral also occurs in Korea and Japan.